Monday, November 12, 2018

Go on, Take the Honey and Run




I like 5150: New Hope City PI, but there's an aspect about 5150:NHC that leaves me wanting more.  It's an excellent system, but it assumes that there's always a witness or security camera whenever a crime's committed.  Being mischievous, I like the idea of avoiding, defeating or intimidating witnesses to get away with a crime, so I'm adapting NHCPI to a more detailed way of committing crimes instead of solving them.  Here's a blatant tribute to Mad Max as an opener...




Billy Joe, a Ganger, wanders into Dust Lump, an agricultural trading post town about 50 kilometers outside New Hope City.  The first PEF resolves as two Ordinary Joes, who I'm calling Elmer, a farmer, and Bobbie Sue, a farmer's daughter.  Being under the effect of Party Favors, Billy Joe's Talk the Talk doesn't go well, and Elmer punches him in the face.

Naturally, Billy Joe's reaction was to shoot Elmer, getting an Obviously Dead result.  I referred back to a somewhat modified version of Flock of Seagulls mechanic from Haven, Bobbie Sue's reaction to the shooting is to freeze.

Billy Joe grabs Bobbie Sue and stuffs her into Elmer's vehicle and begins running.  The other two PEFs resolve as Just a Case of Nerves.

Billy Mack, a LEO, respond and a chase begins.

Being lazy, I used the Canoe Chase mechanics from Long Rifle.  After three turns, Billy Joe loses Billy Mack, getting away for now, but possibly not forever. 
I'll be flipping between NHCPI and my criminal adaptation as Billy Mack investigates Billy Joe as he avoids arrest.

Elmer is an old RAFM Cult of Cthulu gangster, Bobbie Sue by Hasselfree Miniatures, and Billy Joe is an old Warzone Imperial Wolfbane Commando, now available at Prince August.

1 comment: