|I bought Oingo Boingo's anthology as a download years ago, and these CDs served me well, but they've died of abuse. I overlapped them, traced the "half moon" with a sharpie, and they Terrain Gawdz smiled, because I managed to cut the CD with a pair of 30 year old Fiskars without breaking anything (much).|
I built up the "shore" with hot melt and grabbed some stones from near my house to somewhat hide the seam. A small, irregularly cut piece of cardstock is glued over the center hole of the uncut CD.
After all the hot melt "shoreline" was cooled, I spray primered the discs, glued the rocks on and smeared some black craft paint in the "water" area.
I enjoy using the sponge painting "faux finish" technique used by interior decorators when I paint stone; this time I tried it with dark blue and turquoise paints. Since most of my modeling stuff is currently in storage, I improvised a sponge by rolling up a piece of paper towel.
It worked well enough.
Here I've just sloppily slapped some green paint to tell me where to glue flock.
While slapping on the green paint, I impulsively decided the larger rocks needed to have a spring bubbling up from between them. Maybe the Fountain of Youth, or more likely, a Xanth Love Spring. Anyway, the rocks were making the piece too heavy for the CDs, so I broke a piece of bark off a tree in the yard, and what came off was big enough to break into two pieces. I prefer using tree bark instead of real rocks. Better texture and immeasurably lighter.
I bought those aquarium plants for 88 cents at Walmart a zillion years ago and decided to finally justify the purchase.
Once the bark was glued in place, I squirted a bunch of hot melt into the gap formed by the stones and bark, and teased it a little into ripples.
Oops. I should've painted the stones first, but hot melt usually dries with a milky color and I planned on painting the "water" anyway.
The stones got a "wash" of black craft paint thinned a lot with water, then some quickie drybrushing with a pale gray. The hot melt "waterfall" got a little bit of a dark blue wash - dark blue paint thinned more than ink. I tried to lightly brush some white "foam" onto the water, but the blue wash wasn't yet dry and I got this "Bob Ross Happy Accident". Another happy accident was that the bark I "harvested" had some tiny bits of lichen on it, so I picked them out with some bright green paint.
Here's where I managed to wait for the paint to dry before adding white highlights.
I cut the bottoms off the plants so they'd appear to be partially submerged, but were still too tall for my liking and I ended up cutting groups of "branches" off and gluing those as smaller plants.
Here's some of the plants glued in place with some green paint on the lower halves to hide the plastic shine, and a half-assed, still wet flocking job I'll finish tomorrow after the PVA dries.